Thursday, July 15, 2010

Looking Ahead

At last, something makes sense!   Despite the best of intentions, I have ended up with 3 incompatible 40mm Horse & Musket projects which have tended to converge in a disturbing manner at times. But suddenly I find them falling into 3 obvious niches:


  • Not Quite The Seven Years War. A Charge! project using Prince August homecast semi-flat  figures, most recently in a high gloss finish. Big Battalions. This is my oldest 40mm project but it doesn't normally get played at home, only when I descend on Cold Wars like a HAWK. (a Maryland club which has been generous enough to adopt me)

MacDuff's Fusiliers in action at Cold Wars 2010

  • Redcoats and Savages: 40mm AWI/War of 1812. Semi-skirmish & small battles using With MacDuff to the Frontier. Chunky wargame style figures. 
Ambush at Maguaga

  • Armies of the Red Queen. (or Arroostock to Oregon) Glossy toy soldier style 40's for battles of the first 20 years of Queen Victoria's reign whether imagined or real. Soldiers grouped into 20 man units as recommended by HG Wells, Joe Morschauser and Don Featherstone). Hearts of Tin Rules revised to count noses instead of bases to make it easier to use my Toy Soldiers on individual bases. Initially I will be doing some games inspired by the US-Britain war scares of the 1830's & 40's  but I intend to tackle some Indian campaigns as well (eg Scinde,  Sikh wars). I did experiment with making this an imagi-nation project but have decided to fall back on Historic-Fictional (or Historical -Fantasy if you will).
The Augusta Greys muster to rush to the Aroostock and defy the British
I've been waiting until I get my spin caster up and running to start spitting out troops for these as the existing drop molds have some serious flaws but hefting a 60 lb caster through a trap door into the new dungeon workshop is going to have to wait again now so I decided to keep working on the American forces with the flawed molds (sorry guys, no prejudice against the traditional enemy or enemy, honest!). There is something relaxing about painting glossy toy soldiers with a healthy glow on their cheeks and simple uniforms.
Note: please click on the pictures to enlarge.
 (but don't bother with the greys, they don't look better up close!).
Jeff, please let me know if the use of smaller pictures helps on your end.
   

3 comments:

  1. Not as much is cut off, Ross . . . but the problem still remains (and I don't know why).


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross,

    I've just come across another blog that has similar photo problems:

    http://littleleadmenofvalour.blogspot.com/


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! I was thinking about delving into the mind bending html code (well mind bending when its machine written and you're outta practice). That gives me something to compare mine to as well as a few others that don't give you the problem.

    All in leisurely fashion, I promise!

    ReplyDelete