Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tom and Jerry


With a slight twinge of guilt, (for abandoning a game, any game) I cleared the table of 1/72nd figures and started laying out some 40's. I don't have any 20thC armies in 40mm (yet) but I figured the Oberhilse troops in Pickelhaubs backed by some horizon blue infantry would serve on one side while the other side will have to make do with obsolete red for now.

It seemed like the perfect moment to put together the Irregular Mitrailleuse I bought a few years back. After all, I've tripped over it 3 or 4 times in the last month alone. Of course finally I put it...hmm not here, hmmm hmm not there, hmmm...  Oh well, I did find a couple of spare Zinnbrigade 1900 Prussian castings. A change of colour was enough for the Germans, a head swap with one of my Mex-American War heads and some token swipes with an exacto was needed for the Tommy. He's not exactly right but close enough for me given the price.( I already have molds for gunners, infantry, cavalry and staff as well as a stock of metal so it'll cost me nothing new to indulge myself.). The results of 15 minutes work can be seen above.

This is all making lots of sense to me now despite the ripples of excitement. There is a fair amount of synchronicity with my 19thC collection, scenery, wagons, civilians (people are obviously very conservative in Atlantica) and even some troops, especially as the armies march further into the 19thC. After all, some reservists and even whole armies in the real world  marched to war in 1814 in nice dark blue uniforms while if some Faraway units adapt khaki and sun helmets when they go North of the mountains, they'll look right at home in 1910.

Adding some later armoured vehicles to push it father into the  20thC will be a challenge. 1/48th or 1/50th vehicles exist but WWI and early WWII ones are hard to find and tend towards expensive. There are some cheap 38T's out now which might do but I'm leaning towards checking out a few 1/56th vehicles made to match "28"mm  miniatures which aren't much shorter than my old 40's and are substantially chubbier.. On the whole, I would rather have underscale vehicles than over scale ones, especially as the size grows. MG's are another issue. I could probably scratch build some but will probably give a little business to Irregular.



4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good start.
    For Armoured vehicles - Irregular do a T26 and CV33 in their 40mm SCW range and there is a 4 wheel armoured car in teh WWII Russian range.
    Have you considered scratch building from card? I've made a few 6mm:1ft scale models which look okay, if a little small, with Irregulars 40mm troops. It's not too difficult as the early armoured vehicles tended to be made of flat plates.

    all the best

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another interesting series of posts, but it's a bit unsettling that you've come down so heavily against 1/72 - I am trying not to have my own faith challenged by this turn of events!

    I'm impressed that you can turn out the figures so quickly (I doubt if I can shave in 15 minutes) - and they do look very pleasing.

    That is a good house in the picture - you've used it as a background a few times of late, and I like it, but if I lived there I think I would move somewhere quieter when the coast was clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian, thanks for the tips.

    I was looking at the Irregular vehicles yesterday and might go that route yet. What I'd really like is an FT 17 but the T26 might do. I'm also eyeing the Tchanka which is the the WW2 list! At 1/4 of the price though, I may have to settle for 1/48th diecast 38(t)'s from Classic armour despite its more modern look. Pity they didn't do the 35(t).

    I've seen some paper models that look great when done but I'm all thumbs with that sort of stuff, I can't even do a decent job of assembling a kit. so definitely last resort time, especially scratch building! If I can pick up another cheap 1:50 die cast early car I might have a go at converting one to an armoured car though.

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony, Its unsettling for me too. I've bought very little except 1/72nd over the last 3 years and that includes some brilliant figures. I seem to have a hard time getting myself to paint and/or play with them solo though.

    You may be right about the house, its about 2 years old and I don't remember anyone actually living in it.

    ReplyDelete