Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Toy Brigadier

At least once a year I come up with yet another scheme to avoid ditching my old Britain's  without investing a lot of time and space. The Portable Wargame in particular seemed to offer possibilities when I refought Hook's Farm as a portable wargame with vintage figures. Now that I have Officially abandoned any pretense of going down to 1 scale of figure and terrain and 1 main project in favour of a series of small, simple, games in a box (or on a shelf) and since I had identified a shortage of projects in my list, it occurred to me that I might want to revisit the late Colonial 40mm Square Brigadier Atlantica campaign I was contemplating which stands at about 12 figures, and check out my selection of a couple of hundred painted, unpainted, refurbished and unfurbished  54mm Britain's and compatible figures for the same period. That  should give me more time to sculpt and paint 1812 and 1840's figures and maybe do something like bringing them up to sufficient strength to not have to borrow troops for every game
The Queen's soldiers approach a hill over looking the hostile camp.
Ideally most of these particular figures should have been stripped and repainted before being seen in public but with due respect to my elders (many of these are around 90 years of age) I decided to play a test now and paint later if it works.

Any resemblance between the approaching game and any historical event, living or dead, would be even more  fictional than newspaper accounts of Colonel Otter's battle at Cut Knife Hill in 1885.

 Chief Buckmaker decides that there is no time for his warriors to freshen their paint and  repair broken arms and so orders them to go forth and meet the enemy as they are.



2 comments:

  1. Always a pleasure to see the Britain's and they do seem to me to look good in small units. Not sure why it is, and certainly it's subjective of course, like a lot of things, but some styles or sizes of figure seem to be able to carry off being just four men in a square better than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree, might be that they already invoke imagination? I've noticed that I prefer more figures per unit for close order horse and musket games. I just wish my Britain's Arab camel riders weren't glaring at from the shelf.......

      Delete