Monday, October 5, 2015

A Cuppa Joe

On Sunday I broke out the glossy 19th Century lads and replayed the same scenario with one twist, I rolled for the size of the Red and Blue armies and made the larger force attack.


For this game I selected The Square Brigadier for rules. The board is currently marked with 8x12 squares big enough to hold 2 stand units but while 12 is about enough for width, 8 isn't enough depth for late 19th century armies.  So, I decided to treat each stand as a unit and count quadrants of the marked squares like I did last June.

The resulting game took about an hour and was, well, not boring but not exciting either, certainly not compared to the 2 Gathering of Hosts games. For example the last 5 or so turns were a static shoot out between two lines of infantry each trying to roll more 5's and 6's than the other side and little or no reason to try anything else. So after much contemplation, I decided that I needed a little more Joe in my game.

Joe Morschauser that is,  a little bit more risk, more speed, and more options. I doubled the number of units, reworked the Tin Army and tried again today.

The result was a humdinger of a battle. I'm not sure how long it took, I was too busy playing. Probably more than an hour but less than 2 but if I didn't have things to do I could cheerfully have reset and played again.



The new and improved Tin Army rules are posted under Other Links. I'm finally just about ready to lay out my wargaming plans for the coming years but I've got bases to cut, figures to paint......

6 comments:

  1. Argh - there's nothing worse than a static dull game. Glad you found the sweet spot. Those shiny fellows having a charm all of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Ross. Love the big gun in the first photo. Now you have me thinking of flipping that gaming cloth currently seen on my blog and marking the other side in quadrants / squares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking game Ross.
    Michael go flip that cloth,you wont regret it!

    ReplyDelete