Sunday, June 19, 2016

Stepping Bravely Back

Since Rob & I are planning to run a couple of 40mm F&I games at Fall In! in November, I need to get to work on that 20th Anniversary Final Edition of MacDuff and test it as much as I can over the next 4 months.  Seemed like a good time to get back to Acadia.

Both of the last two games worked well and had a good feel but there were a few things that I needed to think  about leading to the following conclusions:

  1. The games were small but are almost as large for this style of gaming as my 5'x4' table can handle.
  2. That was actually ok with me. Obviously the last 5 years have left a mark. The games were enjoyable, took a good length of time to play and I no longer feel uneasy about the possibility of one day having painted all I need of something.
  3. Although the games were fun and worked, I missed a few of what I considered key elements of the original rules including man to man melees, no morale tests and rallying back casualties or trying to anyway. In a conversation with Rob last week he brought up the rallying as well so I decided to revisit a few of the items dropped from the rules to consider if they should be brought back or not


The main issue with the old rally rules was that they tended to prolong a game, not so much by the time taken up by rallying but because it made it hard to get rid of units, especially if the player was hot with his rally dice.  Possibly having a fixed game length might help keep games moving along.

The man to man combat was a minor issue when terrain and figure crowding made it hard to track who was fighting who. It became more of an issue when I wanted to play bigger games and use multifigure stands but if I'm back to individuals and smaller games it might be ok.

There's only one way to tell.

A test game is already on the table, waiting for the sun to sink a little lower.

1 comment: