Tuesday, September 19, 2017

TOODOO TODO TODO

The last two months have been a bit frustrating. Although I have managed a reasonable number of games and sorted a few things in my mind, I have been making very little progress on filling out orders of battle, writing up back stories or managing a mini-campaign or even a couple of battles in a row in the same war.  There is a long, boring list of non-hobby related  things that have interfered and the next 2 month aren't likely to be much better as I move farther into the fall/pre-winter outside Must-do list. Still, there is more to it and indecision as to which way to jump is playing a role.

I think its time to have a look at what needs to be done, look at the issues and obstacles and decide on priorities and a plan.

For those who'd like something more interesting that me waffling, here are some video's to watch.

 Brian's Toy Soldier Collecting blog has links to videos showing Britain's toy soldiers being made in 1949 and  in 1965. After watching them,  I found myself watching a 3 part  Russian look into the history of toy soldiers (dubbed in English) that I had seen once sometime (years?) ago.  
WARNING:
Watching this video left me with a burning desire to cast and paint more soldiers!




OK back to my planning. Chronologically, the top 4 candidates for some focused attention this fall are:


A.Prince Micheal. The big thing here is to be ready to take an 8 player game to Huzzah in May. The three main things are: to settle the details of the scenario, assess the requirements for figures and terrain, and identify and rectify any deficiencies. I'm fairly confident that this only needs a week or three of winter leisure to polish up, mostly a matter of some basing and some paint enhancement on some second hand figures.


B. NQSYW. I have a vague consensus with myself on organization and rules but all that needs to be sharpened. Then there are uniform decisions, decisions on refurbishing old units, back stories, and on and on. I don't want this to languish nor do I wish to rush it, especially not the wrong way. I think another game within the next few weeks then put it off till the weather  turns cold and then see about ordering some new guns and settling down to planning followed by execution.



C. War of 1812. This limited scope collection is bugging me because it is almost but not quite ready.  It seems silly to start with the one that I am least likely to want to campaign in but it would be good to have a small, complete, Canadian history, 40mm, game, ready to go.  All presentable and proper like.

It also wouldn't take much. A few dozen existing figures to touch up or rebase, perhaps 50 or 60 new homecast figures, some finishing of bases. It would just seem smart to get it out of the way to reduce the clutter and distraction.



D. The Great War.    This has my eye at the moment and is really where I want to spend the most time next year but there is a lot of work to be done to get me to where I want to be and I don't want to rush into production until I know what I need. There is a need for several new figures to be sculpted and cast and there are some issues around obtaining artillery and mg's to be resolved which may mean finding either funding or a spark of cleverness, not to mention the need for mountains. In short there is a lot of planning and work to be done.

I confess, this has been complicated and escalated by the possibility that if I arrange to have sufficient historical figures for an historical 1912 Caucasus game then I might be able to take said game to Huzzah should it happen that they decide that the 100th Anniversary of the last year of WWI would be a fitting theme. Not THAT important but it would be nice to be in step for once, well, sort of in step.

Actually now that I have written it down. The 1812 stuff makes sense as it needs almost no planning, just doing. Planning on other things can theoretically proceed in the background.

Could be brought home by Christmas if I settle to it.

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like 1812 is the way to go then. It's always good to get a project 'finished' and tidied away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that ONCE, Lawrence of Arabia in 15mm.........

      Delete
    2. Don't think I've EVER 'finished' a project unless you count individual DBA armies I'm currently working on.

      Delete
    3. I tend to think of 'finished' as Game-ready and planned initial OB filled, so I guess there have been others. Never too late to add things down the road though.

      Delete
  2. There is something to be said - for knocking something off the "to do" list. Crack on 1812.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old unfinished master has been resurrected and work is in progress on a proper US 1812 figure.

      Delete
  3. I guess there must be some gamer, somewhere, who has a single-purposed clarity and focus--I recall a seeing a grainy photograph of such a creature in a sideshow "odditorium" once, right next to the images of Bigfoot and the Roswell autopsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the same time as I got Harri's book on Model Soldiers, I got a copy of Funcken's "Uniforms and Arms of All Times". Never had a chance really ...

      Delete
  4. I have that "Retreat from Moscow" Set! Not painted yet ...

    ReplyDelete